*This blog contains affiliate partnerships. Every little bit (and I mean little) helps me continue to provide free travel tips and advice. Thank you for supporting ©Travel with Wendy.
What is an AGRITURISMO? In Italy, they are the BEST way to stay! Hopefully, my article will shed some light and pique your interest for a future stay in an Agriturismo. Accommodations can vary in Italy, an Agriturismo can be upscale, quaint, homey, a refurbished villa but most times a farm in some way.
Agriturismo’s in Italy actually began in the ’50s. Until recently when a surge of micro-farmers began using extra space for accommodations. Whether the farmers grow grapes, olives, raise chickens, harvest honey or raise sheep, farming is the key. These original “Farm-stays” in Italy were especially designed to create a little extra money for farmers and help high tourist areas with room occupancy. Usually, the accommodations are partnered with some type of small-scale farming. Consequently, in today’s savvy hospitality industry it is still my favorite way to stay in Italy.
Most Agriturismo’s are also very chill and informal with very little fanfare. It literally feels like I am going to my Italian home when I stay with my new friends.
North Italy ~ Piemonte
- Location – Calamandrana
- B&B Che Piasi ~ Davide and Denise
- Accommodations ~ 4 rooms with elegant design and incredible views of the valley and surrounding vineyards
- Peaceful setting
- Access – Easy to get to from the highway
- Amenities ~ one of the best breakfasts you’ll eat in Italy, complete with fresh-made pastries, torte, fresh fruits (including in-season oranges)
- Swimming pool & relax patio
- Cooking classes & more!!
B&B Che Piasi is also a wonderful location. If you decide to visit the area of Piemonte you will be spoiled rotten. David is a proficient cyclist and very happy to help you find cycling or hiking trails in the area.
Denise is brilliant in helping you create an itinerary for your particular needs. You could literally show up and ask her, “What should we do today?” She will help you find festivals, stores, historical sites and create a wonderful stay. You won’t want to leave.
WANT TO MAKE A RESERVATION for the White Truffle FESTIVAL in Piemonte?
Reservation for WHITE TRUFFLE FESTIVAL – Oct 31 to Nov 4
Central Italy ~ Umbria
- Location ~ Perugia
- Let’s Cook in Umbria
- Lovely accommodations ~ 5 full-service apartments with unbelievable views overlooking the valley of San Marino
- Access – easy to get to until you are about 6-10km from the Villa. Raffa can help with transportation. It is on the website.
- Amenities ~ full-service kitchen, you will have all you need to make a great breakfast, coffee, a lovely torte, juice, yogurt and for later a bottle of their house wine.
- Bedrooms are separate from the kitchen and our living room area of the apartment is quiet to let your roommate sleep in a bit
- Very peaceful mornings
- Swimming pool
- Patio for relaxing with oversized umbrellas
- Cooking classes ~ Raffaela can combine both your cooking classes with your accommodations or you may just spend time there too. Check out this article.
Veneto ~ Nove, Italy
- Location ~ Nove, Italy
- Agriturismo Crocerone
- Accommodations – 5 rooms each with views of the countryside and elegant decor
- The incredible rate for the location
- Access – super easy to get to from the highway
- Amenities ~ wonderful breakfast every morning with excellent coffee, homemade pastries, eggs to order, meats, cheeses, fresh fruits, and fresh fruit juice
- Really close to a beautiful walking trail around the area
- Location is perfect and quiet for a ceramic shopping trip with plenty of space in the van for storage
- Lastly, this family-run Agriturismo is just fun. Piero will help you find the BEST restaurants in the area and Xeno and Arianna make you feel like family when you arrive and leave!
RESERVATIONS for the OCTOBER NOVE Trip!
Reservations for the Nove, Italy ADVENTURE – Oct 23 to 27, 2019
Things to ensure a GREAT STAY!
- First, book directly for better communication and as far out as you know from your visit
- Next, book directly also for a BETTER RATE
- Next, check for seasonal festivals and events before going for a full itinerary
- It should be noted that there is typically no required number of days to stay at an Agriturismo, however, the longer you stay, the better the rate, usually.
- Bring your hiking boots or sneaks, there are trails typically through the vineyards and groves that will take your breath away ~
Finally, I hope this little article will give you the inspiration to stay in an Italian Agriturismo soon. I subscribe to this website, Agriturismo.it and it helps A LOT in searching for new and interesting accommodations around Italy. However, most bigger search engines like Booking.com will have Agriturismo or Apartstay as a filter.
Farm stays at an Agriturismo is an unforgettable experience. If you have found one recently please share with me. I would love to check it out. I love making new friends in Italy.
It’s always an adventure when you ©Travel with Wendy!